Dear Abby: Six years ago, my 16-year-old daughter was killed by a drunk driver. Just the other day, I found some thank you cards I thought I had sent. I also know that at the end, I just couldn't write any more thank-yous because of my grief. Should I mail the cards after all this time?
---Still Wondering
Dear Still Wondering: Yes, you should. But when you do, include a short note explaining exactly what you have said to me. People who love and care about you will understand.
First of all, I'd like to point out that "Abby" has the easiest job in the country. I answer questions for a living. If, rather than answering all the questions put to me, all I had to do was pick 3 per day and answer them, I think my job would be...quite a bit easier.
Secondly - what?! Thank you notes? Thank you notes?! Someone's got to put a stake in this whole thank you note thing. You still have to send them out after 6 years?! More importantly - and I can't say this strongly enough - if your friends are sitting at home thinking "I can't believe she never sent me a thank you note after that whole her-daughter-died thing", then your biggest problem might not be a violation of Emily Post's etiquette. You might want to look into getting new friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment