E-mail:
I think I'm reasonably adept at managing my e-mail effectively. I've got some useful folders, etc., to keep the volume under control. The tips (eg. "pick off easy ones", "write less", "use templates", "be honest -- (delete stuff)") were useful. I really haven't used templates. I probably don't deal with too many things that could make us of them. There might be a couple areas where I could make use of them: Booking the meeting room; or people wanting to apply for a job.
I think I do pretty well on the "write less" tip. I try not to send out frivolous stuff. Actually, what I really need is for other people to write less.
IM:
Yes, we use IM internally. It sure has it's uses. I can see it's potential uses for responding to Reference questions, but I do have some concerns. For one thing, I worry that it creates an expectation of speed of service that, at the current staffing levels, we might not be able to meet. So, now I'm handling internal & external IMs, fielding phone calls, order materials and making the Reference Desk schedule -- oh, and there are people right in front of me with a question! Do you ever wonder what they think we're doing as we type furiously into the computer as they walk by? Speaking of which, when I try to check-in at a hotel, what is that person doing staring at their terminal for 10+ minutes before they give me my key? Solitaire? Updating their Facebook page? World of Warcraft?
By the way, that Youtube video about IM Reference just screamed "We're really old people trying desperately to look hip and 'in touch'". Also, it actually highlighted the worst of IM. Get over the frivolous small talk and get to a point, please. Because if you don't have a question to ask, I might answer one for the people who bothered to come into the library today.
Sorry, I'm a little cranky today.
TEXT MESSAGING:
You have got to be kidding me. Seriously, this is a joke, right?
The video shows these kids 'texting' in a question about which database to use 'for technology'. Huh? Sounds like the librarian did an outstanding job on that reference interview. He deserves a raise. Also, watch the video, there is no way that kid actually input his question in the time it showed him doing it. And, that's a problem. It's just way too slow.
Ok, ok, I know one of the four people with an RSS feed to this blog is thinking about posting a comment about how they know someone who can text really, really fast. Go ahead and post that if you like, but I'm still not buying it. Watch the video -- does he really text what he's saying? And, if not, why not? I'll tell you why not - because it takes way too long to do it. If they can't be bothered to do it for the demo, why would I want to in real life?
One of the things you learn working Reference (or Trivia Weekend, for that matter) is that sometimes is just easier and faster to call someone who has the answer rather than find the answer yourself. What I recommend you do, rather than use the phone, is carve your question into stone and have it delivered to the Reference Desk, then ask them to carve a response and send it back. Or, you could use text messaging. Either way works fine.
In other words, I am a text messaging luddite. Sue me.
Web Conferencing:
Been there. Done that. Nuff said.
Summary:
Don't think I didn't notice what you guys did there -- slipped like 4-5 things into "1" thing on a stick. Tricky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yeah for another text messaging ludite!
Post a Comment