How about a post that is not related to 23 things? Any objections? No?
So, we had downtime earlier this week. And, I was wondering why it is that people can walk past 45 terminals that all have large signs on them (System Down: Internet & Library Catalog) and still come up to the desk to ask if the internet is down? It seems like they're asking a question to which they already know the answer.
I've wondered that for awhile, but this week a light bulb when off. Here's my theory: we have to guide them through the five stages of grief. Here's a typical conversation:
Patron: Is your internet down? (DENIAL)
Me: Yes, it is.
Patron: You know, most places do their maintenance when they aren't open so people can get their work done! (ANGER)
Me: I'm sorry, this wasn't planned downtime.
Patron: So, are you expecting it back up in a few minutes? (BARGAINING)
Me: I'm really not sure. I'm not even sure they've found the problem yet, so it could be 5 minutes or 5 hours. I really just don't know.
Patron: Now, I'll never get my project done in time. (DEPRESSION)
Me: I'm sorry. I could give you directions to the Hayden Heights library in St Paul which isn't too far from here. They should be able to provide you internet service today.
Patron: No, I think I'll just hang out in the coffee shop for a bit and see if your system comes back up. (ACCEPTANCE)
Me: Ok. Hopefully, it won't be too long.
So, if we just hold on and guide them through the stages of grief, we can usually get them to acceptance.
Tune in next week when I show how library services are based on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Ok, maybe not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
well done :) your patience is one of your biggest assets~ one of the many reasons you do your job so well....
I DO love Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. I frequently refer myself to it when I ask if I need yet another item in life. No, often I really don't. Just food, shelter, companionship, love -- the really important things ...
LOL, this post made me laugh profusely Jeff, thank you!
Post a Comment