Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thing #9: Online Collaboration Tools

So, I went to try to edit the online sample documents. I've got a Google account and everything. Sadly - they tell me "We're sorry, but [my account] does not have access to this document." I understand that's normal and that I need to request access to the document. I did that last week. Still haven't been approved. This strikes me as a problem with this sort of situation (and many of the other "things") -- the nuisance of getting the correct account, password & permission can potentially outweigh the benefit yielded by the tool. If I had really needed to work on a document, it could be a big problem to have to wait a week or more for access when the other person could've just e-mailed it to me as an attachment and I could've made changes 5 days ago. Obviously, there are some benefits to having a master document online that multiple people can work on, but there's definitely a downside, too.

I do know how to edit a document, however, though -- so no big loss.

Moving on...

1 comment:

Carolnb said...

Yeah waiting for passwords to edit a document is so much fun.