I watched the Common Craft video on wikis. Those people do some good work. It was a simple introduction to wikis that, I think, would be effective at teaching someone their value -- even if they hadn't had any prior exposure to wikis. It really wasn't news to me, though.
I looked at the some of the sample wikis that were listed. One I looked at the "Adult Services" page of their wiki and saw that it hadn't been updated in over a year. That is, I think, one of the problems with this type of thing. You can have good intentions, and produce good content, at the beginning. But, if you get away from it for awhile - it just gets stagnant then totally ignored.
On the other hand, there were some good things out there. I really like St Joseph County Public Library's page. They've got some interesting things on there -- sort of a mix of fugitive facts and pathfinders. I had actually been toying with the idea of remaking our reference-desk-3ring-binder of info into a wiki. Eventually, we just get so much "useful" info into our 3-ring binder that it becomes unwieldy and difficult to find things. It seems like remaking this into a wiki could provide a better method for arranging the info. This site nudged me in the direction of trying that idea. Of course, finding the time for that...
As I said, I have updated wikis before. Our Trivia Weekend team uses a wiki to compile answers, team roster, etc. I've updated that wiki many times. In addition, I've made updates to Wikipedia on more than one occasion. For the 'update a wiki' requirement of Thing #10, I updated my team's wiki with the dates of the 2009 contest (Feb 13-15, in case you were planning to come).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment