Sunday, August 31, 2008

Thing #17: ELM productivity tools

I created a search alert for articles and added the RSS feed to my Google Reader account, which I am checking regularly. It was easy enough. I can see how you might want to get automatic updates of news stories on a particular topic.

For example, say you're in withdrawal from Michael Phelps stories. You were getting to hear about him for 14 hours a day, but now...nothing. If you chose to get updates on him, you can find out that he's going to be appearing on Oprah and hosting Saturday Night Live.

Mini rant:
I mean, I know this guy is great, but I heard NBC swimming announcer, Rowdy Gaines, say that Phelps' accomplishment was the greatest physical achievement in history. Bah! It wasn't even the greatest physical achievement of the Olympics this year. Try this: from a standing position, do a flip and land on one foot. Oh, and did I mention you're doing this on a 4-inch wide beam? That's crazy. Heck, I can swim.
As for the greatest physical achievement of all time, I would submit Jim Thorpe - who won an Olympic Gold Medal in the Decathlon, an Olympic Gold Medal in the Pentathlon (now there's a well-rounded event), was inducted into the pro-football Hall of Fame, play baseball professionally for the Cincinnati Reds and did it all in the face of racism.
Anyway, I was a little disappointed that the alerts that I received weren't full-text. I'd like to read them right out of my RSS feed, rather than have to track down the articles.
I did the searches and set up the web pages in EBSCO and ProQuest. Frankly, I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where I'd actually do that in real life. I have used the feature where you e-mail yourself (or someone else) an article, but setting up multiple articles as a webpage? I just don't see myself using that.
Finally, NetLibrary. Again, I've used it before. It feels like a last line of defense. If patrons (or myself) have the option to get the regular print-version of the book -- they always choose that over the electronic version. That should tell us something. Still, the full-text searching feature definitely comes in handy at times.

No comments: