Saturday, September 20, 2008

I worry about this country

People like to complain about politicians. It's easy to say they're all corrupt or liars. But, does anyone else besides me worry about the electorate?

Obama has been tracking higher in polls than McCain since they became the presumptive nominees. After Palin was announced as McCain's VP, McCain jumped above Obama. That effect has since subsided. I find that to be disturbing.

It'd be one thing if Palin's selection had resulted in a permanent change in the polling. At least that might represent people making a conscious value judgment about her as a candidate. I wouldn't agree with it, but it might make sense. But, instead, we have a brief jump -- which represents what? That people like the newest, shiny thing?! Are we voters, or just a bunch of raccoons? Worse yet, the amount of people who changed their opinion based on the "new, shiny thing" are the difference in who wins the election.

I just don't understand. It's not an election, it's trends. It's fashion. It reminds me of a couple years ago when, apparently, we all just decided it was time to start wearing plastic shoes. I missed that memo, somehow.

1 comment:

Carolnb said...

No plastic shoes for you, oh my.